Sunday, November 9, 2008

BlogPoll ballot, Week 11

Submitted for your scrutiny is this week's ballot. Comments following. As always, if you've got something to say, say it, or you run the risk of allowing an imperfect ballot, and we can't have that, can we?

**Second edition. Edited ballot after taking comments into account is below. Suggestion box is open until early Wednesday morning. Like, before I go to work.

RankTeamDelta
1 Texas Tech --
2 Alabama 1
3 Texas 1
4 Oklahoma 2
5 Southern Cal 3
6 Florida 1
7 Utah 2
8 Penn State 6
9 Oklahoma State 4
10 Ohio State --
11 Missouri 2
12 Boise State 3
13 Ball State 2
14 Michigan State --
15 TCU 3
16 Brigham Young 1
17 North Carolina 3
18 Georgia --
19 Florida State 3
20 Tulsa 1
21 Georgia Tech 5
22 California 3
23 Cincinnati 3
24 Oregon 2
25 LSU 1

Dropped Out: Maryland (#23), Northwestern (#24), West Virginia (#25).


- Sigh. Fine. I gave in. I went ahead and did it. I ranked LSU. Bah. I had something of a moral crisis over this. After sifting through all the options (W/CMU, Northwestern, even Rice were some of the other finalists) for the last couple spots, South Carolina shook out as the 25th team. Then I realized I couldn't in good conscience rank them and not LSU, given that 1) my harangue against LSU is that they haven't beaten anyone, which is also true of SC, and 2) they have beaten someone, which happens to be SC.

- Oklahoma State probably wouldn't have dropped as far after losing to the #1 team, but 36-point margins of victory don't sit well. I could probably be convinced that they should drop below Ohio State, but Ohio State's signature win is against Michigan State and Oklahoma State's is over Missouri. Mizzou is higher, thus so is Okie State.

- Georgia Tech seems like a funny candidate to be ranked where they are, but I can't justify dropping them any lower, unless maybe they should switch with Cal. All those other teams have bad losses and nothing too spectacular in the wins column.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Boise St ahead of Ball State... the rest seems to be solid.

Anonymous said...

I have trouble with putting BYU ahead of TCU... you obviously thought about it, since they're right next to each other, but 2 losses to top10 teams just don't weigh more than demolishing the team you're next to, in my mind. Especially since they really should've beaten Utah.

Anonymous said...

Agree with nolecc but would also put Florida ahead of USC.

Brendan said...

Actually I did think about TCU and BYU but I can only plead guilty by reason of stupidity. Completely forgot about TCU's depantsing of BYU. That will be rectified. I'll also bump Ball State as suggested....that's a fair move.

Florida, however, stays put. They've beaten two ranked teams (LSU and UGA) while USC has beaten three (OSU, UO, Cal). OSU is the best team of those five and USC crushed them something awful. And to top it off, Oregon State is better than Ole Miss. I gotta leave USC and Florida where they are.