Sunday, December 6, 2009

that took less time than i thought

Probably the worst-kept secret on the whole coaching carousel was that we'd eventually be making a run at Mike London; if you didn't already know it, you basically assumed it. I sort of thought we'd wait til Monday to get ahold of his bosses and such, just to let him take care of business at Richmond after a heartbreaker of a loss last night, but that is why I'm not an athletic director. Apparently it took less than 12 hours. Which means that we didn't even wait til 10:30 or so this morning before ringing up the Richmond folks.

So what do you got for a date and time for the announcement on this thing? Wednesday at about, oh, 1 PM sounds about right to me.

Edit: Or, y'know, Monday maybe. Craig Littlepage is eating my lunch.

Just for posterity, here is the post I put up on London, way back in September when it was evident the thin ice Al Groh was walking on had cracked all the way through. I retract only three words from the post: "I'd rather pass." I wouldn't anymore. Once it became apparent that Tommy Tuberville and Brian Kelly were future UVA coaches only in Gumdrop Rainbow Land, London moved to (or very near) the top of the list, and further I'm so damn pleased by the speed of this thing that I'm not bothering to nitpick.

We now have head coaches in football and basketball both under the age of 50; the clear message from Littlepage is that we're going to take off like a rocket or die trying. I can't complain about that kind of attitude.

2 comments:

JC said...

On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with this hire?

Brendan said...

8. London is the best fit, but can he coach? I mean as a head coach. I don't think we really know yet.